365 Top Ten Lists. This is my project for 2010.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Ten Sensational Song Lyrics—The Sort of Thing I Will Write When I Become a Songwriter Later On.

1. Oh very young what will you leave us this time,
You’re only dancing on this earth for a short while,
And though your dreams may toss and turn you now,
They will vanish away like your daddy’s best jeans,
Denim blue, fading up to the sky,
And though you want them to last forever,
You know they never will, you know they never will,
And the patches make the goodbye harder still.
‘Oh Very Young’ by Cat Stevens.

2. But love ain't no train, more like a broncin' bull,
And the most you got's fifteen seconds in the saddle,
And even if you manage to ride, you are all shaken up in side,
And it's gonna be a long time before you ride that bull again.
'If Love Was a Train' by Michelle Shocked.

3. Children with candyfloss
And prizes of goldfish,
Young men kill tin ducks
In sharp shooter poses,
The laughter of the lovers
On the rickety stairs,
The rumble of the diesel
And the sounds of the fair.

An old gypsy lady,
In soft Spanish whispers,
Took my hands in hers
And told me their secrets:
'Your heart is a fire,
And his love is an ember.
You must forget
What you'll always remember.'

Superstitious nonsense,
Just a fairground attraction.
I walk through the neons,
In search of distraction.
But the tears in my eyes
Knew the truth in my heart.
She'd only confirmed
What I knew, at the start.
'Fairground Attraction' by Fairground Attraction.

4. Well.this flower is my soul,
But it's not half of what I owe.
I should give you every rose that ever grew.
But take this one here for a start,
And you can keep it in your heart,
I have everything I need because of you.
'This Flower' by Kasey Chambers.

5. And I love you so.
The people ask me how,
How I've lived till now.
I tell them I don't know.

I guess they understand
How lonely life has been.
But life began again
The day you took my hand.

And, yes, I know how lonely life can be.
The shadows follow me, and the night won't set me free.
But I don't let the evening get me down
Now that you're around me.

And you love me, too.
Your thoughts are just for me;
You set my spirit free,
I'm happy that you do.

The book of life is brief
And once a page is read,
All but life love is dead,
That is my belief,
'And I love you so' by Don McLean.

6. Sometimes, its like someone took a knife baby,
Edgy and dull, and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my soul.

At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet,
And a freight tain running through the
Middle of my head.
Only you can cool my desire.
I'm on fire.
'I'm on Fire' by Bruce Springsteen.

7. The moon is nowhere, almost time for the sun.
The voice of the waves sound anciently young.
I'm a prisoner of freedom, ten toes in the sand:
And man, I wish I had a hand to hold.

I'm in the habit of being alone.
I try hard to break it; I cant on my own.

I'm glad no one's here, just me by the sea.
'Me by the Sea' by Edie Brickell.

8. There's a small boat made of china,
Going nowhere on a mantle piece.
'Weather with You' by Crowded House.

9. How about some wings so the
Birds won't have to walk to get around.
And how about a bird bath or two
So the birds will all be clean.
How about some feathers so their
Underwear no longer will be seen.
How about a chirp so the birds
Won't have to whisper when they sing.
And how about some common sense so they
Won't be blocking traffic in the spring.

Oh remember me my darling,
When spring is in the air,
And the bald headed birds
Are whisp'ring ev'rywhere.
You can see them walking
Southward in their dirty underwear:
That's the Tennessee Bird walk.
'Tennessee Bird Walk' by Jack Blanchard and Misty Morgan.

10. Bows and flows of angel hair,
And ice cream castles in the air,
And feather canyons, everywhere.
I've looked at life that way.
...
Moons and Junes and Ferris Wheels,
The dizzy, dancing way you feel,
As every fairy tale comes real.
I've looked at love that way.
...
Tears and fears and felling proud,
To say 'I love you' right out loud,
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds.
I've looked at life that way.
'Both Sides Now' by Joni Mitchell.

1 comment:

  1. "Black lipstick stains her glass of red wine." from Love You To Death by Type O Negative.

    ReplyDelete