365 Top Ten Lists. This is my project for 2010.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Ten Reasons Why Rainy Days are the Best Days.

1. Because you can sleep, nap, snooze or go to bed with the rain is pitter-patting on the roof and cars making a swishy sound when they drive past.
2. Because it means the world is cool, if not cold.
3. Because when it breaks the heat with its big, dusty-smelling, pattery drops, that is the best relief in the world.
4. Because I love that a rainy day means you have to bring in all your washing. I love the order and mind-refreshing rotation process, but that is hard to explain without sounding like an extremely odd person, so I’ll say instead that it’s because of that lovely laundry smell that fills the house—especially when the double whammy rain-heater combo is in operation.
5. Because rain gives justification to something that I don’t believe requires justification—wearing gumboots. It does also mean, however, that you can also jump in puddles and wade through what you would normally have to go around. I would recommend testing depths though, as the l’il man would attest to from the time we nearly ended up all puddled from a lack of testing on my part.
6. Because I loved to take Bodhi out in the rain. He would go out with gusto, and then slowly his ears would work themselves backward-facing as the realisation of what was happening dawned on him. Coming home we would always play the towel game which he adored. And I could get the great smell of eau de wet dog. It’s earthy and reminds you to love everyday you have. I won’t get maudlin, but earth is what I imagine eternity smells like, and I like to have a good association with it just in case.
7. Because rain means thick black cloud and in turn, darkness. I am no nyctophobe. Give me darkness any day. Not to say there can’t be magnificent moments when the sun shines though that cloud and it appears even more beautiful. As a loyal member of the Cloud Spotting Society, I am, of course, of the firm belief that a sky without clouds is like a face without emotions.
8. Because that leads me to clouds themselves and the variety and formation and change that facilitates the phenomenon of rain in the first place. How amazing to see the cloud with its tail of rain sweep across vast spaces to reach you, then leave you. The cloud holds no man as its master.
9. Because rain makes the world sound different. It swooshes. And drips, scatters. Taps. Tattoos, gurgles, plops and bubbles. It is a cacophony and a melody and a hum.
10. But the best thing about rain is that everyone else goes away, and if you have gumboots and a dog with backward facing ears (if only in spirit), you can reclaim it for a moment as your own.

1 comment:

  1. I don't get woken up at 5:00am by the sun blaring in through the blind of my east facing bedroom window.

    ReplyDelete