365 Top Ten Lists. This is my project for 2010.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Ten Sets of Match Ups—A Great Way to Learn Synonyms.

Match up is a game on my i-Google page. Luckily it is refreshed only once a day or I would become an addict. It has a bunch of words on one side and a bunch of synonyms on the other. The words are often madly obtuse though. Love it! Maybe some will stick and I can use them. This list will be composed of two: questions and answers. In the first are the words followed by the synonyms. Match them up yourself and then check the answers. I will show off by adding my score. This will not always be showing off of the positive kind.

Questions:
1. quiescence, howdah, hydroponics, seamster, cayuse:
    Indian pony, aquiculture, houdah, tailor, dormancy.
2. castigate, variegate, abnegate, macerate, apprise:
    vary, advise, chasten, deny, soften.
3. clandestine, mawkish, circuitous, wizened, gauche:
    hush-hush, roundabout, unpolished, hokey, shriveled.
4. vendetta, singlet, troika, drachma, verisimilitude:
    dram, III, blood feud, vraisemblence, vest.
5. tympan, phagocyte, harangue, arboretum, zealot:
    scavenger cell, botanical garden, drum, drumbeater, screed.
6. occlude, imbibe, obviate, cogitate, descry:
    close up, sop up, rid of, mull, spot.
7. circumspect, pellucid, languorous, picayune, cacophonous:
    dreamy, cacophonic, discreet, crystal clear, niggling.
8.alumna, rancor, vendee, affront, entrepot:
    buyer, resentment, insult, graduate, transshipment centre.
9. heathenish, hexangular, pompous, inalienable, isochronal:
    pagan, hexagonal, portentous, isochronous, unalienable.
10. sheepcote, genuflection, fief, balustrade, dolmen:
     fold, handrail, demesne, obeisance, cromlech.


Answers:
1. quiescence=dormancy; howdah=houdah; hydroponics=aquiculture; seamster=tailor; cayuse=Indian pony. Okay, all that stuff about the words being obtuse. Today they weren't. Five out of five.
2. castigate=chasten; variegate=vary; adnegate=deny; macerate=soften; apprise=advise. Is it wrong that the reason I know macerate is from cocktail menus? Two out of five.
3. clandestine=hush-hush; mawkish=hokey; circuitous=roundabout; wizened=shriveled; gauche=unpolished. Gauche is one of my favourite words, its one of those words that emotes what it means. It is fabulously forties. Five out of five.
4. vendetta=blood feud; singlet=vest; troika=III; drachma=dram; verisimilitude=vraisemblence. Five out of five. Nil out of one 'witty' comments.
5. tympan=drum; phagocyte=scavenger cell; harangue=screed; arboretum=botanical garden; zealot=drumbeater. Harangue is also one of my favourite words. I often harangue about how good a word it is. It is also good to know that although I tend to make it a lot more verby than it appears to normally be, I am using it fairly accurately. Five out of five.
6. occlude=close up; imbibe=sop up; obviate=rid of; cogitate=mull; descry=spot. Who'd'a thought it would go one to one across the grid. That's randomness for you, perfect order. I didn't think it, but I am also not a good puzzle doer today because I am cogitating over something and it's taking all my focus. Two from five.
7. circumspect=discreet; pellucid=crystal clear; languorous=dreamy; picayune=niggling; cacophonous=cacophonic. Those matches should have all been pellucid. Isn't picayune some sort of a mexican mammal? Three out of five.
8. alumna=graduate; rancor=resentment; vendee=buyer; affront=insult; entrepot=transshipment centre. I love theses things. Why do game makers not realise the huge potential word games have in an open market. If that was the case though, why would I be the only person I know who wants to play scrabble. Five out of five.
9. heathenish=pagan; hexangular=hexagonal; pompous=portentous; inalienable=unalienable; isochronal=isochronous. That was almost too easy. I'd like the in- and un-s to mean different things. Five out of five.
10. sheepcote=fold; genuflection=obeisance; fief=demesne; balustrade=handrail; dolmen=cromlech. Sometimes I think that words pre-exist in your head until you activate them and they become a part of your working vocabulary. It explains why you have a subconscious feeling of knowing about them, without being able to say why, or how to use them. Three out of five.

Forty out of fifty. Yay, a HD.

2 comments:

  1. Two out of five and tailor=seamster was a guess.

    I thought quiescence have to do with giving in to an argument so didn't get dormancy. And the rest, howdah, houdah and cayuse could have all been indian ponies as far as I knew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5/5 for No. 2

    I would be worried if you knew the word macerate for any other reason than making cocktails.

    ReplyDelete